Dr. Amjad Hammad is the founding member and Medical Director of Saratoga Ophthalmology. He has lived and worked in Upstate New York for most of the past 20 years, but he is originally from Jordan where he served as surgeon to the Royal Jordanian Family.
Dr. Hammad graduated from the University of Jordan Medical School in 1993. He completed his Ophthalmology Residency at Albany Medical Center and furthered his specialty with a Vitreoretinal Fellowship at Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio. He is Board Certified in Ophthalmology by both the American Board as well as the Jordanian Board.
After schooling, he began his professional career in a group practice in Albany, New York. He opened his private practice in Saratoga Springs, New York in 2007.
Dr. Hammad completed his Masters of Business Management at Yale School of Management and furthers the education of others as Clinical Assistant Professor of Ophthalmology at Albany Medical College, as well as Adjunct Professor of Business, School of Management at Union Graduate College.
His practice, Saratoga Ophthalmology is dedicated to helping people improve their vision in order maintain their quality of life. Dr. Hammad has not only been able to achieve great results for his patients, but the care and compassion he and his staff have for his greatly reduces the stress patient may feel during the treatment process.
- Adjunct Professor of Business, School of Management, Union Graduate College, Schenectady, NY. February 2012 – present
- Chief Executive Officer, North Country Eye Surgical Center, LLC. Wilton, NY. February 2011- present.
- Medical Director and Owner, Saratoga Vitreo-Retinal Ophthalmology, PLLC, Saratoga Springs, NY. January 2007-present
- Clinical Assistant Professor of Ophthalmology, Albany Medical College, Albany, NY. April 2005- present.
- Assistant Professor of Ophthalmology, University of Jordan, Amman, Jordan. June 2002- February 2003.
- Director of Vitreo-Retinal Service at Sharif Eye Center, Amman, Jordan. February 2003- February 2005.
- Visiting Assistant Professor of Ophthalmology, University of Texas, San Antonio, Texas. July 2000- March 2002.
Vitreoretinal Fellowship, 2000-2002, Univ. Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio, San Antonio, TX
Ophthalmology Residency, 1997- 2000, Albany Medical Center, Albany, NY
- Awarded John A. Cetner Good physician award for outstanding and compassionate patient care
Neuro-ophthalmology Fellowship, 1996 -1997, Michigan State University, E.Lansing, MI
- Senior Clinical Fellow
Transitional Year Residency, 1995-1996, Sparrow Hospital / MSU, Lansing, MI
Ophthalmology Residency, 1994-1995, University of Jordan, Amman, Jordan
Rotating Internship, 1993-1994, Jordan University Hospital, Amman, Jordan.
- Awarded Outstanding Intern of the Year
Yale School of Management, MBA. 2009-2011, New Haven, CT
- Distinctions in Economics, Marketing and Healthcare Operations.
University of Jordan Medical School, MB, BS, 1987-1993., Amman, Jordan.
- Awarded Distinguished First in Pediatrics and General Surgery.
- Graduated in top 10th percentile.
- ECFMG Certification, 1995
- American Board of Ophthalmology, 2001
- Jordanian Board of Ophthalmology, 2002
- Vermont, USA
- New York, USA
- Texas, USA
- The Hashemite Kingdom of Jordan
- Vitreous levels of unbound bevacizumab and unbound vascular endothelial growth factor in two patients.Beer PM, Wong SJ, Hammad AM, Falk NS, O’Malley MR, Khan S.
Retina. 2006 Oct;26(8):871-6.
- Spontaneous regression of choroidal metastasis from renal cell carcinoma.Hammad AM, Paris GR, van Heuven WA, Thompson IM, Fitzsimmons TD.
Am J Ophthalmol. 2003 Jun;135(6):911-3.
- Lacrimal sac dacryoliths: predictive factors and clinical characteristics.Yazici B, Hammad AM, Meyer DR.
Ophthalmology. 2001 Jul;108(7):1308-12.
- Operational Efficiencies and Healthcare Marketing, Hammad A, Healthcare MBA class, Union Graduate College June 2011
- Six Mystery cases, Hammad A, Wills Eye Hospital Retina Club, Philadelphia, PA October 2005
- Update on Diabetic Retinopathy, Lake Geneva Optometry Conference, Lake Geneva NY September 2005
- Glaucoma Filteration Devices, Hammad A., Farber M., Grand Round presentation at Albany VAMC 1999.
- Antimetabolites in Trabeculectomy: A New Technique, Hammad A., Ghandham SB. Presented at Eastern NY Eye and ENT meeting 1999.
- Metastatic Pituitary Tumor Responding To Pergolide, Fierz A., Kaufman DI., Kayabasi U., Hammad A. Frank B. Walsh Society, Orlando,FL. 1998.
- Prognosis of Visual Field Defects in Stroke., Nayan D., Hammad A., Kaufman DI., Eggenberger ER. Platform presentation at NANOS meeting, Keystone, CO. 1997.
ORGANIZATIONS AND SOCIETIES:
- Member of the Board of Directors, New York State Ophthalmological Society.
- Associate Examiner and Diplomate, American Board of Ophthalmology.
- Fellow, American Academy of Ophthalmology.
- Member, Jordanian Ophthalmological Society.
- John W. Simon, MD. Chairman, Deptartment of Ophthalmology. Albany Medical College, Albany, NY.
- Martha G. Farber, MD. Chief of Ophthamology. Albany VAMC, Albany, NY.
- Wickard Van Heuven, MD. Chairman, Deptartment of Ophthalmology. U. Texas Health Sci. Ctr., San Antonio, TX.
Choroidal Blood Flow, Age Related Macular Degeneration, Intra-vitreal Drug administration.
For an appointment, call us at (518) 580-0553.